Thursday, January 27, 2011

Coughing, Wheezing, ER oh my!

As a parent our job is to protect our children at all cost. But how do we protect them from allergy induced acute asthma? How do I protect him from the little invaders blocking his lungs causing an attack. I know asthma is on the far end when it comes to major illnesses, however as a mom I am trying to wrap my hands around it.

Its hard when your little one comes to your bed at 2:30 a.m gasping for air saying,"I can't breathe!" You jump up heart racing in search of his albuterol pump and immediatley begin the rescue meds. After 20 min of home therapy,I could still see his flaring nostrils and stomach sucking in and knew a 3 a.m trip to the ER was necessary.

Upon arrival they were able to stabilize him by giving him oxygen along with two bronchodilators via a nebulizer. This seemed to do the job as his pulse ox went from 90 to 94 a bit of a improvement. As of 10 this morning he is doing much better still wheezing but able to breathe.

At this point, I would give anything not to see my 10 year old suffer when he gets these attacks. Its scary and I can sympathize with anyone going through this. There is no cure for asthma, it can only be controlled.

5 comments:

  1. I understand what you mean. My oldest one used to take Albuterol so she can breathe. Btw, thanks for stopping by and commenting on my post. See you tomorrow in our linky party :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessie....sorry to hear about your little one...my step son has asthma also....
    just wanted to let you know I am putting you in my post today for the link party as following...
    Have a Blessed day
    Tonja

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here from the swap party and I'm your newest follower. I can sympathize with your medical issues with your son. My youngest daughter was born with some birth defects, and while she's fine now, you just want to take all of that pain away. Here's hoping that you can keep it under control, and more 3am trips to the ER are unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just dropped in from the swap party ... sorry about your ER trip! Raising kids is no easy task. I'm a grandma of one sweet little girl ... and she has some bronchial issues that always scare us to death. Hope you'll drop by to visit my site. I'm following you ... Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am so sorry to hear about your son, I pray he is doing better. It is definitely scary when your child can't breathe. I found you through the Swap Party and am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete